What is Personal Information?
As used herein, the term “personal information” means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, or credit card number) and information about that individual or his or her activities that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Personal information does not include “aggregate” information, which is data we collect about the use of the Website or about a group or category of services or users, from which individual identities or other personal information has been removed. This Policy in no way restricts or limits our collection and use of aggregate information.
What Personal Information do we collect?
Active Collection: Personal information may be collected in a number of ways when you visit our Website. We collect certain information you voluntarily provide to us (“User Data”), such as when you make a donation, send us an email or sign up to receive email or text message updates, fill out a form, connect through a social feed, sign up to be a volunteer or host an event, or request information. Such information may include personal information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. Personal and demographic information may also be collected if you provide such information in connection with leaving comments, posting blog comments or other content, sending an email or message, or participating in any features on the Website. In addition, from time to time we may collect demographic, contact or other personal information you provide in connection with your participation in surveys, promotions, and other activities on the Website.
In addition, the Federal Election Commission (FEC) and New Jersey Election Law Enforcement Commission (NJELEC) may require us to collect personal information from donors.
Passive Collection: When you use the Website, some information may also be automatically collected, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your operating system, the browser type, the address of a referring web site, and your activity on our Website. We treat this information as personal information if we combine it with or link it to any of the identifying information mentioned above. Otherwise, it is used in the aggregate only.
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of “cookies” or web beacons. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive at the request of a website. Among other things, cookies help us improve our Website and your experience. If we link cookies to any personally identifying information, we will treat this information as personal information. If you wish to block, erase, or be warned of cookies, please refer to your browser manufacturer to learn about these functions. However, if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect certain features on our Website. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on the Website or in emails relating to the Website to collect certain information and monitor user activity on the Website.
How Do We Use The Personal Information We Collect?
We use personal information collected through our Website for the purposes described in this Policy or elsewhere on the Website. For example, we may use personal information we collect:
- to provide the services, or information you request, and to process and complete such requests and any related transactions;
- to send you confirmations, updates, alerts, and support and administrative messages and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, the Website;
- to notify you about important changes to the Website;
- to send you newsletters and otherwise provide you with information or services you request or that we think will be of interest to you, such as sending you information to keep you informed about various campaigns, candidates, issues, events, resources, promotions, and services;
- to help connect you with other supporters, and to solicit volunteers, donations and support for the MDO and for candidates, issues and organizations that we support;
- to remind you to send in your voter registration form and to vote;
- to assist you in finding your registration information and polling location;
- to contact you if other information is necessary under Federal and State election laws;
- to request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of the Website;
- to respond to your emails, submissions, questions, comments, and requests and to provide customer service;
- to monitor and analyze site usage and trends, and to personalize and improve the Website and our users’ experiences on the Website, such as providing content, or features that match your profiles or interests, and to increase the Website’s functionality and user friendliness;
- for any other purpose for which the information was collected.
We may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
What Personal Information Do We Share With Third Parties?
It is our policy not to sell, rent, trade or otherwise sell the personal information we collect from you through our Website with third parties, except as described in this Policy or as otherwise disclosed on the Website. For example, we may share personal information as follows:
- with consultants, and other service providers or volunteers who are engaged by or working with us and who need access to such information to carry out their work for us;
- with candidates, organizations, groups or causes that we believe have similar political viewpoints, principles or objectives;
- to report required information to the FEC, and NJELEC including name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employers of individuals whose contributions meet the statutory amount as defined by law in a calendar year (for additional information, visit the FEC website at http://www.fec.gov, and the NJELEC at http://www.elec.state.nj.us);
- when you give us your consent to do so, including if we notify you on the Website, that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information;
- when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with the law or legal processes or respond to lawful requests, claims or legal authorities, including responding to lawful subpoenas, warrants, or court orders;
- when we believe in good faith that doing so is reasonably necessary or appropriate to respond to claims or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the MDO, our users, our employees, our volunteers, copyright owners, third parties or the public, including without limitation to protect such parties from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful activity or use of our Website; and
- to enforce or apply this Policy, our Terms and Conditions, or our other policies or agreements.
We are not responsible for the actions of any service providers or other third parties, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties. Nothing herein restricts the sharing of aggregated or anonymized information, which may be shared with third parties without your consent.
Links to Other Websites
How Do We Protect Your Information?
We take reasonable measures to protect your personal information in an effort to prevent loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware, however, that despite our efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and no method of data transmission that can be guaranteed against any interception or other type of misuse.
What Choices Do You Have Regarding the Use of Your Information?
You may “opt out” of receiving text messages, email updates and newsletters by following the instructions in those text messages and emails. Please note that we may still send you other types of emails, such as emails about your use of our Website, or use information as otherwise described in this Policy, even if you opt out of receiving email updates and newsletters. Changes to information in your account does not affect information provided to others as set forth in this policy, including in connection with petitions or donations or that has been previously shared with like-minded candidates, organizations, groups or causes.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org